Crostini With Lemon Pepper Ricotta Spread
- Bread & Spread
- 1 French baguette, cut into 32 slices, ½" (1 cm) thick
- ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole milk ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. (250 g) goat cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Lemon Pepper Rub
- Smoked Salmon With Pickled Veggies
- ½ cup (125 mL) white wine vinegar
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Lemon Pepper Rub
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ English cucumber, thinly sliced (64 slices)
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (125 mL) water
- 2 pkgs (4 oz./113 g each) thinly sliced smoked salmon, cut into 64 strips
- Additional Lemon Pepper Rub for sprinkling
- Pear & Pistachio
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 crisp pears, cored, cut into thin slices, and sliced in half
- ¼ cup (60 mL) orange marmalade
- ½ cup (125 mL) coarsely chopped shelled pistachios
Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
Brush one side of the bread slices with olive oil. Place them on two large baking sheets and bake until lightly browned, 6–7 minutes. Cool completely.
- For the spread, combine the ricotta and goat cheeses with the rub; mix well. Evenly divide the spread onto the bread.
For Smoked Salmon: Combine vinegar, water, sugar, rub, and salt in a microwavable bowl. Microwave for 1 minute; stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly. Add cucumber and onion slices to the mixture and let it stand at least 15 minutes. Top each bread slice with cucumbers, salmon, and onions. Sprinkle with additional rub.
For Pear & Pistachio: Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pear slices. Saute 3–4 minutes, or until pears begin to soften. Stir in the marmalade and cook 2–3 minutes until the pears are caramelized and golden, stirring occasionally. Remove the skillet from the heat and cool slightly. Top each bread slice with the pear mixture and sprinkle with pistachios.
- 16 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving for Smoked Salmon: Calories 190, Total Fat 10 g, Saturated Fat 4.5 g, Cholesterol 20 mg, Sodium 500 mg, Carbohydrate 14 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugars 2 g (includes 1 g added sugar), Protein 10 g
U.S. nutrients per serving for Pear & Pistachio: Calories 210, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 6 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 250 mg, Carbohydrate 19 g, Fiber 1 g, Total Sugars 6 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 8 g
Find the Pickle: For the Smoked Salmon option, try pickled radishes in addition to the cucumbers and onions. Or use it as a swap for either of them.
Jolly Jams: For the Pear & Pistachio option, swap the marmalade with apricot jam.
Love for Granny: Don’t care for pears in the Pear & Pistachio topping? You can use Granny Smith apples instead.