Frankenstein Cheese Spread
Watch cheese dip, guacamole, and vegetables come ALIVE when you shape them into the iconic Frankenstein monster. It's a healthy party snack that's sure to trick (and treat) young guests into eating their veggies.
- Cheese Spread
- ½ large carrot, peeled, ends trimmed, divided
- 3 mini sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 pkg (8 oz/250 g each) ⅓ less fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), softened
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 oz (60 g) cheddar cheese, grated (½ cup/125 mL)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Garlic & Herb Rub
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 container (8 oz/250 g) prepared guacamole (about 1 cup/250 mL)
- 1 mini sweet red peppers, stems removed and seeded
- 4 extra-large pitted ripe black olives
- 1 pretzel rod
- ¼ cucumber
- Balsamic glaze or black decorating gel
- For the cheese spread, cut a 2” (5-cm) piece from the narrow end of the carrot; set aside remaining piece. Finely chop the carrot.
- Add the carrot, bell pepper and onions to a medium mixing bowl. Add remaining cheese spread ingredients to the bowl and mix until well blended.
- Place a large sheet of plastic wrap in a container approximately 7” x 5” / 17.5 cm x 12.5 cm). Spread the cheese mixture evenly in the container and wrap the top of the spread with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to decorate, unwrap the cheese spread and invert onto the Stone Serving Tray or Large Entertaining Platter. Spread the top and sides of the rectangle with the guacamole.
Spiralize the remaining carrot piece using the spaghetti blade on the Veggie Spiralizer. Top one short end of the rectangle with carrots to create “hair.”
- Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise. Place bell pepper halves on the sides of the rectangle for “ears.” Break pretzel rod in half; add 2 olives to each end of the pretzel rod. Insert into bottom sides of the head for “bolts”.
- Slice two pieces from the cucumber and use for the eyes. Use the end of the cucumber for the nose.
Pipe balsamic glaze, to create “brows, mouth and stitches.” Serve with additional pretzel rods or crackers and veggies dippers, if desired.
- 24 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. Nutrients per serving (2 tbsp/30 mL spread): Calories 80, Total Fat 7 g, Saturated Fat 3.5 g, Cholesterol 15 mg, Sodium 220 mg, Carbohydrate 3 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 1 g, Protein 3 g
Be creative and use leftover vegetables or cheese to decorate.
For best results, spread with guacamole and decorate within 2 hours of serving. If making your own guacamole spread, squeeze lime juice over the spread to minimize browning.