Sous Vide Egg Bites
Save yourself a trip to the coffee shop. These make-ahead egg bites are healthier, more customizable, and perfect for busy mornings.
- 6 large eggs
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) cottage cheese
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- Olive oil for brushing
- ¾ cup (175 mL) optional additions (cooked meat, shredded or crumbled cheese, diced vegetables, or a combination)
Fill the inner pot of the Deluxe Multi Cooker with 7 cups (1.75 L) of water. Lock the lid and select SOUS VIDE. Set the temperature to 172°F (78°C) and the timer to 90 minutes; Press and hold the Start button, and let it preheat.
Meanwhile, mix the eggs, cottage cheese, and salt in a small bowl.
- Brush the wells of the Silicone Egg Bites Mold with oil.
- Divide the egg mixture evenly among the wells (don’t fill the wells more than 2/3 full).
- Top the egg mixture with your optional additions. Using a fork or silicone spatula, gently push down the optional additions until they’re submerged. Cover the mold with the lid and place on the rack.
When you hear beeps and Add is displayed, remove the lid and use the rack handles to carefully lower the mold into the inner pot. Lock the lid; press the Start button.
- When the timer is up, press the Cancel button. Open the lid and carefully remove the rack and mold. Carefully remove the lid from the mold. Using a butter knife or table knife, gently loosen the egg bites from the wells. Invert the mold onto a cutting board and gently push the bottoms of the wells to remove the egg bites.
- 7 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 70, Total Fat 4.5 g, Saturated Fat 1.5 g, Cholesterol 160 mg, Sodium 180 mg, Carbohydrate 1 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugars 1 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 7 g
Pick veggies with low moisture like peppers, broccoli, or zucchini. Avoid fresh vegetables like tomatoes (use sun-dried tomatoes instead!) or frozen vegetables that can release water.
Try a combo of chorizo and Mexican cheese, ham and Swiss, or your favorite cheese and cooked meat.
These are great make-ahead meals that you can freeze and quickly thaw and reheat when you’re in a hurry. Just pop the thawed egg bites into the microwave for a couple minutes!
For a quicker version, you can use this recipe with the EGG setting. Just reduce to 4 eggs and 1/4 cup (60 mL) cottage cheese, follow the remaining directions, and cook on the EGG setting for 14 minutes.