Confetti Surprise Cake
We’ve added a fun twist to the secret center cake. Each slice of this colorful cake can be filled with different candies so each piece is like a mini piñata!
- Oil (or butter) and flour for greasing pans
- 1 pkg (14–16.25-oz. or 396–461-g) confetti cake mix (or white cake mix plus 2 tbsp/30 mL rainbow sprinkles), plus the ingredients to make the egg white or whole egg version
- 1⅓ cups (375 mL) butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 mL) salt
- 6 cups (1.5 L) powdered sugar, divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) milk
- Optional: Colored sugar for decorating
- ½ cup (125 mL) assorted sprinkles, colored sugar, nonpareils, or any small candies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour both Secret Center Cake Pans and the insert with the small individual wells. Place the insert in one of the pans and set aside.
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package instructions. If using a plain white cake mix, stir in the rainbow sprinkles.
- Pour 2 cups (500 mL) of batter into the cake pan with the insert. Add the remaining batter into the other cake pan. Bake for 22–26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (The pan without the insert may take an additional 2–3 minutes to bake.)
- Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Invert the cakes onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat the butter, vanilla, and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add 3 cups (750 mL) of powdered sugar and beat on medium speed until combined, 1–2 minutes. Add the milk and continue beating until blended, then scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the remaining powdered sugar and beat on medium-high speed until well blended and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- To assemble, trim the rounded tops (crown) off the cake layers, if necessary for easier assembly. Place the layer with the secret center wells on a plate or cake board. Frost or pipe around each of the wells and in the center of the cake. Spoon 1 tbsp (15 mL) of sprinkles or candies into each of the wells. Place the second cake layer on top. Frost the outside of the cake and decorate as desired.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 950, Total Fat 42 g, Saturated Fat 26 g, Cholesterol 90 mg, Sodium 470 mg, Carbohydrate 149 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugars 129 g (includes 97 g added sugar), Protein 2 g
When using a white cake mix, only add rainbow jimmies or confetti sprinkles to the batter. Colored sugar or nonpareils will melt into the cake.
You’ll have enough frosting to make to fill and frost the cake and make buttercream decorations.
If you’d like to pipe frosting to decorate, you can get a better decorating consistency by substituting shortening for half of the butter.