Chicken Naan Wraps With Peri-Peri Sauce
Peri peri sauce amps up the flavors in this chicken wrap. Serve on a pita or naan for a tasty lunch or easy dinner.
- Peri-Peri Sauce
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut in chunks
- ½-1 habanero pepper, seeded and cut into chunks (see cook’s tip)
- 1 small onion, cut into chunks
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) paprika
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup (125 mL) olive oil
- Wrap Filling
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 1¼ lbs./575 g)
- ¼ cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 6 mini or 3 large naan or pita, halved
- ½ medium seedless cucumber, diced
- 1 cup (250 mL) grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded romaine lettuce
- Optional: Fresh basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425° (220°C).
To make the sauce, add the ingredients in the order they’re listed to the Deluxe Cooking Blender. Blend on speed 8 of the CUSTOM BLEND setting until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Marinate the chicken in 1 cup (250 mL) of the sauce for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
Combine the mayonnaise with ¼ cup (60 mL) of the remaining sauce in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat the oil in the 12" (30-cm) Enameled Cast Iron Skillet over medium-high heat for 2–3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade; wipe off any excess. Discard the marinade.
- Brown the chicken in the skillet for 4 minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast, skin side up for 35–40 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Place the chicken in a medium bowl. Use a fork to remove the meat from the bone, then shred. Pour the remaining sauce from the blender over the chicken and toss to coat.
- To assemble, briefly warm the naan or pita by wrapping in damp paper towels and microwaving in 15 second intervals. Top with chicken, cucumbers, tomatoes, and lettuce. Drizzle with the mayo mixture, and top with torn basil, if you’d like.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 640, Total Fat 49 g, Saturated Fat 9 g, Cholesterol 100 mg, Sodium 1,250 mg, Carbohydrate 32 g, Fiber 3 g, Sugars 5 g (includes 1 g added sugar), Protein 21 g
Using half a habanero pepper leans toward the mild side, but you can increase or decrease depending on the heat level you’d like.
If fresh herbs aren’t available, go ahead and use dried: 1 tsp (5 mL) each of dried basil and dried oregano. Or for a deeper flavor, sprinkle on a little smoked paprika.