Tomato Basil Tart With Whipped Mozzarella
This Italian tart is loaded with fresh tomatoes and topped with whipped mozzarella for a refreshing take on a summertime pizza.
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil, divided
- 1 pkg (13.8 oz./391 g) refrigerated pizza dough
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Italian seasoning, divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ lemon, juiced (1–2 tbsp/15–30 mL)
- Whipped Basil Mozzarella
- 4 oz. (125 g) fresh mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup (125 mL) ricotta
- 6 basil leaves, torn, plus additional for topping
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) milk
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- Place one oven rack on the top level and one on the bottom. Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Coat the bottom of a 12" (30-cm) Cast Iron Skillet with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil. Spread the pizza dough into the bottom of the pan, pressing it into the edge. Fold over extra dough to create a lip. Use a fork to pierce the bottom and edges of the crust; brush with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of oil and sprinkle with 1 tsp (5 mL) of Italian seasoning.
- Toss the tomatoes with garlic powder and the remaining oil and Italian seasoning. Place in a single layer on a large sheet pan.
Place the skillet with the crust on the bottom rack and sheet pan with the tomatoes on the top. Bake until the crust has browned and the tomatoes have softened, 17–20 minutes. If the crust bubbles, press it down with a spatula, carefully, in case steam is released.
- To make the whipped basil mozzarella, add all the ingredients to a food processor. Process until smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Let the crust cool for about 5 minutes, then spread the whipped basil mozzarella over the inside of the crust. Top with the tomatoes.
When ready to serve, drizzle with lemon juice, top with additional basil, if you’d like, and cut into wedges.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 270, Total Fat 11 g, Saturated Fat 2.5 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 700 mg, Carbohydrate 38 g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 4 g (includes 4 g added sugar), Protein 9 g
You can season the crust any way you like! Try sprinkling with Parmesan cheese or any of your favorite seasonings.
For a richer flavor, replace the lemon juice with 1 tbsp (15 mL) of balsamic vinegar or a balsamic glaze.