Vegan Black Bean Soup
This vegan black bean soup is so creamy, rich, and deep in flavor, topped with a quick tomato salsa.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups (500 mL) low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cans (15 oz./425 g each) black beans, undrained, divided (see cook’s tip)
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- Tomato Salsa
- 3 plum tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cilantro, loosely packed
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 lime
- Optional: Sliced avocado
Heat the oil in the Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven over medium heat for 2–3 minutes. Add the vegetables and garlic to the pot; cook until softened and slightly browned, 4–6 minutes.
Add the broth, 3 cans of undrained beans, cumin, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, covered, over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally until thickened, 12–15 minutes.
Meanwhile, coarsely chop the salsa ingredients using the Flex+ Food Processor attachment fitted with the multiuse blade.
Remove the soup from the heat and discard the bay leaf. Puree with the Immersion Blender attachment on high until smooth, about 1 minute.
Add the remaining can of beans and stir to combine. Serve the soup with tomato salsa and sliced avocado, if you’d like.
- 8 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 210, Total Fat 2.5 g, Saturated Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 890 mg, Carbohydrate 42 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugars 4 g (includes 0 g of added sugars), Protein 12 g
Adding the liquid from the canned beans gives this soup body and deepens the flavor.