Orecchiette With Brussels Sprouts & Broccoli
Garlic, Parmesan, parsley, and lemon make this pasta delicious, and its fresh, green veggies call to mind all the beauty of spring.
- 8 oz. (250 g) orecchiette or medium shell pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 small head broccoli (10–12 oz./250–350 g) including stems
- 10 oz. (330 g) Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
- ½–1 tsp (2–5 mL) red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 1 oz. (30 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated (½ cup/125 mL), plus additional for serving
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup (125 mL) fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta for 1 minute less than the instructions on the package recommend and reserve ¼ cup (60 mL) of the pasta water.
Slice the garlic on the No. 1 thickness of the Rapid-Prep Mandoline. Slice the broccoli and Brussels sprouts on the No. 6 thickness of the mandoline.
Heat the oil in a 12" (30-cm) skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until the garlic starts to turn golden brown, 1–2 minutes. Watch closely so the garlic doesn’t burn.
Add the sliced vegetables and salt to the skillet. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the vegetables are crisptender, 5–7 minutes. Add the peas during the last 2 minutes.
Transfer the pasta and reserved pasta water to the skillet. Add the Parmesan and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the water is absorbed.
Zest the lemon and juice half of it. Just before serving, stir in the zest, juice, and parsley. Serve with more Parmesan, if you’d like.
- 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 440, Total Fat 16 g, Saturated Fat 3 g, Cholesterol 5 mg, Sodium 470 mg, Carbohydrate 61 g, Fiber 7 g, Sugars 6 g (includes 0 g added sugar), Protein 16 g
The sliced garlic’s flavor softens significantly as it cooks. For more flavor, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of Lemon Garlic Rub to the veggies in step 4 and omit the salt. For added protein, you can serve this recipe with chickpeas, cooked shrimp, or chicken.