Easy Weeknight Chili
Cocoa adds an extra level of flavor to this quick, hearty chili.
- ½ tbsp (7 mL) canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1½ lbs. (700 g) 90% lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chili powder
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2½ tsp (12 mL) cumin
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) Seasoning Salt
- ½ can (3 oz./90 g) tomato paste
- 1½ cups (375 mL) low-sodium beef broth
- 1½ cans (16 oz. or 398 mL each) fire roasted tomatoes, undrained (about 2½ cups/625 mL total)
- 1½ cans (16 oz. or 398 mL each) mild chili beans in sauce, undrained (about 2½ cups/625 mL total)
- Optional: Sliced green onion, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, jalapeño slices
Heat the oil in the Rockrok® Dutch Oven over medium heat until shimmering, about 3–5 minutes.
Add the onion to the Dutch Oven. Cook and stir, uncovered, until the onions are slightly softened, about 2–3 minutes.
Add the ground beef and garlic. Cook over high heat for 8–10 minutes, breaking the beef into crumbles. When the beef is no longer pink, drain (if necessary).
Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve topped with sour cream, green onion, sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, or jalapeño slices, if you like.
- 7 servings of 1½ cups (375 mL)
Nutrients per serving:
Calories 310, Total Fat 12 g, Saturated Fat 4 g, Cholesterol 65 mg, Sodium 1030 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Fiber 9 g, Sugars 3 g (includes 0 g added sugars), Protein 27 g