Pasta Fagioli with Italian Sausage
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22 mL) olive oil, divided
- 8 oz (250 g) bulk mild Italian sausage
- 1 large onion
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 containers (10 oz/300 g each) grape tomatoes (about 4 cups/1 L)
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken stock
- 2 cans (15.5 oz or 540 mL each) cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 3 oz (90 g) uncooked ditalini pasta (¾ cup/175 mL)
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) each salt and ground black pepper
- 2 oz (60 g) fresh Parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup/125 mL)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
Heat 1/2 tbsp (7 mL) of the oil in Rockcrok (4-qt./3.8-L) Dutch Oven over medium heat 3-5 minutes or until shimmering. Cook sausage, uncovered, 2-4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally and breaking into crumbles using Mix ‘N Chop.
Meanwhile, chop onion, carrots and celery. Add remaining oil, onion, carrots, celery, tomatoes and pressed garlic to Dutch Oven; cook and stir 2 minutes. Place rosemary into Herb Infuser; add to Dutch Oven. Add stock, beans, pasta, salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Cover and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook 8-10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Remove Herb Infuser from Dutch Oven; let stand 5 minutes. Divide soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and basil.
- 8 servings servings of 1¼ cups/300 mL
Nutrients per serving:
Calories: 290, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 940 mg, Carbohydrate 27 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 16 g