Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
These delectable sweet potatoes with rosemary and candied pecans will be your new go-to for the holidays and special occasions!
- Sweet Potatoes
- 3 lbs. (1.4 kg) sweet potatoes, peeled
- ½ cup (75 mL) 2% plain low-fat Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped rosemary
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) salt
- Candied Pecans
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) pecan halves
- Cut the sweet potatoes into ½" (1-cm) chunks. Add them to the 4-qt. (3.8-L) Nonstick Sauce Pan, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook until fork-tender, about 5–7 minutes. Use the straining lid to drain the water from the pan.
Meanwhile, add the brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, and water to the 8.5" (21‑cm) Nonstick Fry Pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often until the sugar melts, about 1 minute.
- Add the pecans to the fry pan and stir to coat. Cook and stir until the pecans look candied and smell nutty, about 2–3 minutes.
- Transfer the candied pecans to a plate lined with parchment paper and spread them into one layer. Let the pecans cool for at least 10 minutes, then break them up and coarsely chop.
- Mash the potatoes until they’re smooth. Add the yogurt, butter, rosemary, and salt and mix until combined.
- Before serving, top with the candied pecans.
- 6 servings
Nutrients per serving:
U.S. nutrients per serving: Calories 150, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 5 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Sodium 300 mg, Carbohydrate 14 g, Fiber 0 g, Sugars 3 g (includes 2 g added sugar), Protein 3 g
Make and mash the potatoes ahead of time, then reheat in a casserole dish. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 20–25 minutes, or until warmed. Top with the pecans before serving.
Double the recipe and serve in our 4‑qt. (3.8‑L) Insulated Serving Bowl.
You can make the pecans ahead of time, or double the recipe and serve them as a snack!